Sunday, April 19, 2009

Angie's Chicken Stirfry



Ingredients:
2/3 cup soy sauce
4 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cup water
2 shallots (or onions if you absolutely must)
2 cloves garlic
1 cup peas and carrots, frozen
1 bell pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you need clear sinuses)
1 pound chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 Tbsp oil, divided
Hot cooked rice



This recipe goes fast, so I like to get everything completely prepared before starting.

For the sauce, combine the water, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and pepper. If the measurements sound odd, it's because I've tweaked this recipe over and over until I got it just how I wanted it. Let it sit until needed, just remember to stir it up right before you pour.

Slice the shallots and bell pepper, roughly chop the garlic.



Heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Cook the pepper for 2 minutes then add the shallots. Cook approximately 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Add the garlic and frozen peas and carrots. Cook one minute longer. Remove the veggies from the pan.



Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil over medium-heat. Add the chicken and cook until almost done, around 5 minutes. Add the liquid to the middle of the pan. Stir often, the sauce will thicken quickly.



Add the veggies back into the pan and boil for 2-3 minutes.



Serve over hot rice.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Honey, I do love you, but come on... stir fry, YUCKY!

Angie said...

I was thinking the whole time I was posting, how much you hate Chinese food. Sorry Dynn! I'll do something you like next week!

Lynn said...

I accept your apology, BTW, I blogged! What? Me? Blogging?