Friday, March 5, 2010

A Family Tradition



These three pictures hang in the entry of my childhood home. They are painted portraits of me and my brothers, each wearing the same pair of denim overalls.

Each child in our family has a portrait taken in the same pair of overalls when they turn one year old.



These pictures are my nieces and nephews and they surround my mom's living room.



It's been a while since I've seen the overalls, but I know they are well worn and faded from years and years of usage. These overalls that symbolize so much unity in our family are now 38 years old.

I remember hearing my mom say a long time ago that if our home was threatened by fire, she would first make sure we were all safe, but the one material possession she would try to rescue would be these pictures of me and my brothers.



I wish everyone could feel the love our family feels for each other. These pictures are cute, and the tradition is sweet, but it's so much more than that. For me, these pictures represent the consistancy and unfailing bond we share. They represent the unshakable love my parents have for their children and grandchildren. They represent a closeness that can't be seperated by 1755 miles.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I have seen those pictures my entire life and could probably describe them to someone in my sleep. PS- Love the hair Pebbles!