Monday, June 22, 2009

Salt Lake City

I have inherited a new destination site. Along with cities in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington, I will now visit Salt Lake City, Utah on a regular basis.

I have been traveling through the SLC airport several times a week for a few years, but I have only really visited the city once. It was about 2 years ago. I was with one of my bosses so I didn't get to see much.

I went there last week on my own and was excited to stop by the Mormon Temple for a little picture taking on my way to the airport.

It was rainy and really stinkin' cold but I decided to brave the conditions, driving around cluelessly until I found this big, beautiful structure.



I got out of my car and put every one of my coins into the parking meter, totally anticipating that I would be picture taking for at least 20 minutes.

I ran back into the car because, again it was rainy and really stinkin' cold. Just as I was gathering my camera stuff and umbrella to make my way over to the building, I was surrounded by protesters.



I waited for them to march past me with their signs and chanting before I braved getting out of my car again. Having been away from my small town roots for several years has still not prepared me for big city turmoil like this.

Finally they moved on and I was able to make my way to this stately, historic building.



As I approached it I noticed several unsavory looking folks on the steps leading up to the entrance. I changed directions.



I got another couple shots of this side then decided to drive around to the other side. That's when I noticed I wasn't at the Mormon Temple at all. I was at some stupid courthouse.

I retraced my route until I found a sign leading me to Temple Square.

Ahhhhhh. There it is.



Then I drove around it for about 45 minutes trying to find a parking spot. Around and around the block I went to no avail. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. I spent all my parking meter money at the courthouse.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Lynn said...

You are an absolute riot angie!

Samantha said...

Good thing you are not a Morman! You would never make it into the upper levels of heaven if you could not find the temple! At least you found a cool building. You probably should stop by the tourist office next time you are in town. I just love reading about your life!

Mom said...

And this is why mother's worry!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey angie, laughed at your story, cool blog. john walton