Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cornmeal Pancakes

Welcome to Recipe Sunday. I have a new goal to post a tried and true recipe every Sunday. I love to try new recipes and will enjoy sharing them with you once a week as part of my yearly theme to cultivate different areas in my life. This one is about learning to cook better.



Ingredients:
2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cormeal
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Oil for frying

In a mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.

Add beaten egg, milk and oil to bowl and mix by hand until blended.

Heat about 2 Tbsp of oil in a skillet on med heat until oil is hot. Pour small amounts of the batter to make 2 - 3 pancakes at a time. Cook until edges are brown and crispy and the middle of the pancake has several bubbles in it. Flip and finish cooking until golden brown.


I had to add more oil each time I started a new batch, otherwise I didn't get crispy edges which is my favorite part.

This is enough to serve 3 - 4 people. Under no circumstance at all are these to be served without bacon. It just wouldn't be right.

2 comments:

Alan and Connie said...

Those look so good, I have to try those. I love the crispy around the edges too. Keep those recipes coming!!

Lynn said...

Yummy, looked really good!